Saturday, April 5, 2008

Birthday Page, Vacation Art Journal, More Maui


So, the last few years it is tradition to do a layout on my birthday about where my head & heart is at (alas that's why I scrapbook anyway). I did get to the craft table late in the evening & was able to put something simple together. The IPod page was done a couple of weeks ago prior to vacation. I'm on the IPod a lot!

I am inspired lately with Teesha Moore, and though my work doesn't resemble anything she does, her work inpires me to experiment with color and collage techniques. I used to collage in the '70's! I'm loving it. Teesha Moore prepares ten pages at a time mixing paint, pens & pencils, & collaging ephemera. . .I prepped a small watercolor book & played with the Art Journal on Maui. Felt so artsy amidst this fabulous rental in Haiku, just so appreciative to be back where I grew up, grateful for another vacation.




Now, everyone who knows me. . .knows I am pretty compulsive about picking up shells. Ninety seven percent of my loot are broken shells, I just love the mosaic-look. It's a beautiful diversion! Here's my booty, and I get to sort next, which is another aspect of shell picking that's special:

Looking down on my shelling shores & my homeland.

We had windy weather on the shores, my short haircut was in my face all day it seemed. We met a local, named Henry who picked shells also, and he gifted me with a small handful of pukas & a cone. Soft sweet colors. Thank you so much Henry!

One of the blessings, hands down--is not only the treasure hunt of prizes on the beach. . .but the wonderful conversations to be had with my loved ones. I imagine women down the ages gathered about doing busy work and having like conversations. . .about relationships, woes, worry, love. . .it's precious and openhearted.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lesley said...

What...!! I forgot your birthday...what kind of friend am i? A terrible one - must make it up!

Hugs!

Pearl Maple said...

Happy birthday
What a beautiful beach to be collecting shells from, it is a most wonderful past time and all the better if you can find a way to recycle these little treasures into your art.

Thanks for your kind comments on my blog earlier, always enjoy visiting your space and seeing what creative things you have been up to.

Sarita said...

Mom we hula the same... hehehe...